Friday, November 15, 2013

A Black and White Christmas Card

I am back at Joan's Gardens making another card for her challenge this week, making a Christmas card using black and white only, and a frame. Sometimes with these challenges I follow the guidelines and come up with something so ugly that I would never give it to anyone. Such was my card this time. (Does this ever happen to anyone else???)

So that idea got scrapped and I just left it alone for awhile and got back to it later with a different perspective.

Starting with white cardstock, I put a piece of black paper over the front to cover up the ugly card I had started. (Ha! No one will ever know except you, and you won't tell, will you?) I had purchased some really pretty black and white wrapping paper from Hobby Lobby a few months ago; the black swirls have black glitter on them for some extra bling.  It seemed a perfect paper for this challenge, since it is mostly white.

I ran a white glittery ribbon across the bottom of the paper and placed a poinsettia (Spellbinders Layered Poinsettia) on it with pop dots. The center is embellished with a single pearl made from liquid pearls. That was not the original plan; it started out to be 3-5 individual pearls, but they sort of started to run together, so the executive decision was made to combine them to make one larger pearl.  :o)  Tucked underneath the flower are two Die-Namics Fancy Flourish pieces cut from black paper.

The sentiment is layered with black and white papers and is die cut with the Spellbinders Lacy Ovals frame. The white frame has been sprayed with Krylon Diamond Dust Glitter Spray. It's not very noticeable unless you can view it at a close distance, but I have posted a closeup of it below. On http://heartfulstamper.blogspot.com I found a wonderful free digital Christmas sentiment, and I put it on the inside of the card.

This was another time when I took advantage of using MS Publisher for the inside and back of the card, which are posted below.

Here is a picture of the card:


 Closeup of the poinsettia with the pearl center:


Black glitter sparkles on the paper background and white diamond dust sparkles on the frame:


Inside of the card:


Back of the card:



I am also entering this card in the following challenges ending:


Nov 16 613 Avenue Create - ATG UE
Nov 17 Artistic Inspirations - ATG 3E #3
Nov 18 LEJ Designs - Season's Greetings 3E #2  
Nov 18 Twist of Faith Card Challenge - 3E #3
Nov 19 Word Art Wednesday - ATG 5E #2
Nov 19 Crafting by Designs ATG with a Christmas Twist UE
Nov 23 Challenges 4 Everybody - ATG UE
Nov 30 Crafty Hazelnut's Christmas Challenge - ATG as Long as It's Christmas UE
Nov 30 Ribbon Carousel Blog - Holidays and Celebrations UE


Thank you for stopping by my blog. I always appreciate your visits, and your encouraging comments mean more to me than you know. As always, God's highest and best to you today and every day.

Many rich blessings,

Ginny B.

Romans 10:9-11
If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved. NLT

11 comments:

  1. I hear what you said loud and clear. After two years I finally saw the light as it were. I kept seeing each element separate not as a whole making a card. Sometimes after a few days of looking at the finished product I could stop disliking it. I still have too many I won't give. I like yours . I saw it as a whole, the layout is great and black and white always takes a prize. Thank you for posting with us this week.
    God Bless,
    Carole Robb Bisson
    Word Art Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely designed with intricate details. We're happy you stopped by our house at 613 Avenue Create.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ginny, you are not alone. I have pulled apart many a card that just didn't meet the vision I had! Sometimes I like a card better the next day...and sometimes I still shake my head wondering what I was thinking. Your card has turned out fabulous! Thanks for sharing with us at Twist of Faith this week!
    Tracey F., DT Twist of Faith Card Challenges

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, even I have many cards like that Ginny. But I like this card very much. A black and white Christmas card is some thing new to me and I like the white flower too:).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Ginny I so relate. I start over many times when it doesn't turn out the way I vision. This is very pretty and great idea using pretty wrapping paper. Great job.
    Thanks again for joining us at Joan's Gardens for our weekly challenge.
    Joan
    www.atjoansgardens.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another, equally awesome, b/w creation! Thanks so much for leaving this on our doorstep here at 613 Avenue Create!
    Hugz,
    Chana, Owner

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful card. Love all of the glitter and the care that you took with all of the sentiments. Perfect for our challenge this week. Thanks for entering Artistic Inspirations use a sentiment
    Carmen
    DT/Co-owner

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another sparkling amazing card!! And Ginny, I can't believe you ever make anything that is ugly. :) Thank you for joining us at Twist of Faith this week. We hope to see you week after week!
    Blessings,
    Zella
    Twist of Faith DT member

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful card! I love the attention to detail and the inside message is perfect. Thanks so much for sharing your talents with us at Word Art Wednesday and look forward to seeing more of your lovely creations again soon. Have a blessed week! Laura

    ReplyDelete
  10. smashing black and white card and your glistening poinsettia steals the show. Thank you for joining in at Crafty Hazelnuts Extra this month. Hugs Mrs A. (GDT).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for entering this lovely card for my CHNC challenge extra for November - hope to see you again soon. x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my card--your encouraging words have made my day! God's most extravagant blessings to you and all those whom you love. :o)